Friday, May 27, 2011

Eggplant burgers with Balsamic Veggies

It's Friiiiiday!!

The weekend is finally here!!

I don't have much planned for this Memorial Day Weekend. It definitely going to be a chill one, except for Sunday.

Ohhh I can not wait for Sunday! It's going to be a Sunday Funday outing with my girls and guys out to SF.  I'm not going to get into much detail about what we will be doing or going. I'll put up a post about it after we go!

I'll just tell you this one thing...

$7 bottomless mimosas.

Hells ya =)

To start my Friday off this morning, I had a bowl of hot oatmeal with a blob of almond butter and half of a banana cut up. It was super delish and filling. I was only able to eat half of it.


This was a 1/4 cup of oats, 1 tbs. ground flax with a 3/4 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cooked on the stove top in a pan. Once cooked to my liking, I poured it into a bowl and topped with the bananas and almond butter.

I spent the majority of my day doing laundry... 5 loads to be exact. 

Ugh. I hate doing laundry... especially the folding and putting away. 

But I did it. Folded and put away.


That's only half of my closet! You can only imagine what the other half looks like, yikes! 

And yes, my closet is color coordinated. Makes it easier to find things!


I'm an Apple product FREAK! iMac, iPad2 and an iPhone. I also have their old iBook G4 that's not pictured. I'm a tech geek <3

Okay, back on track...

While I had laundry going, I got an early start on dinner. Well, I prepped the first half of it. I decided to make Eggplant burgers since I bought a large eggplant the other day. And since my dad wasn't going to be home for dinner, tonight was a perfect opportunity to make the eggplant burgers for my mom and I.

The first 2 paragraphs of the directions is what I prepared ahead of time and covered the bowl and placed into the refrigerator until I was ready to finish making them.

Eggplant Burgers



Ingredients:
One large eggplant
3/4 cup quinoa flakes (Bread crumbs would work as well. I suppose a GF oat flour, brown rice flour, ect. could work too. I'll have to try that next time.)
1/2 a medium onion chopped
1 Tbs. crushed garlic
1 cup cooked lentils (I used green)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. agave nectar 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Remove the top of the eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Place cut sides down onto your lined baking sheet. Place into the preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes. The egg plant will be tender and somewhat sunken. Remove from the oven and place into a large bowl or dish. 

After the eggplant has had time to cool, dump any liquid and scrape the flesh away from the eggplant. Place the pulp or the insides of the eggplant into a food processor and pulse a few times until the mixture is a coarse puree. Place the mixture into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients to it. Mix well to combine and let the mixture stand at room temperature for about 20 mins.

If you are preparing this ahead of time, cover the bowl with saran wrap and place into the refrigerator until you are ready.

Preheat oven again to 425 degrees and re-line the baking sheet with foil or parchment.

In a large non-stick pan, heat over medium to high heat and spray with cooking oil. Using a large soup spoon, scoop a pretty decent amount of the eggplant mixture and add to the pan. Flatten with the back of the spoon so the patties are about 3 inches wide and 1/2 an inch thick. I cooked 2 at time until they were lightly browned before carefully flipping them over to cook on the other side.




Remove and place on the lined backing sheet. Bake the eggplant burgers for 20 minutes in the oven until they are cooked through!




I served these along with some balsamic zucchini and orange bell peppers.

Enjoy!!

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend and Memorial Day! Lets take the time this weekend to thank our brave soldiers for all that they do and have done for our country!

XO Jen

No comments: