Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chile Verde Chicken Casserole

I adapted the following recipe to fit my liking and what I had on hand, for the most part.

I cooked this up this afternoon for my parents to reheat and to have for dinner. They're usually my guinea pigs when it comes to me testing out new recipes. Muahahaha!

In Mama Pea's recipea she uses a 14 oz. can of tomato sauce. I used 14 oz. of green chili sauce, in reality I should have used 7-10 oz. of it. It came out a little soupy, not what I was going for. Still delicious though!

If you are going to make this with the green chili sauce I recommend not using 14 oz. Start with 7 oz and if it looks like it needs a little more, add a couple more ounces to the mixture.

I also added in some diced green chili's and omitted the beans since I didn't have any on hand. I added corn into the mixture and used chicken instead of tempeh.


Chile Verde Chicken Casserole



(Adapted from Mama Pea's Tempeh Tamale Pie)


Ingredients:


For the filling:
  • Chicken tenders cut up into bite sized pieces
  • 1 medium onion or 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbs. crushed garlic
  • 2 tsp. chili powder (Use 1 tsp. if you want it less spicy)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. apple cider or red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
  • One 4 oz. can of diced green chilies
  • One 7-10 oz. can of green chili sauce (comes in a can)
  • One 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup defrosted corn 

Crust:
  • 2/3 c. cornmeal
  • 1/3 c. brown rice flour (or flour of choice)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. non-dairy or organic milk
  • 1 Tbs. maple syrup
  • 2 Tbs. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 c. frozen corn, defrosted and drained
  • 1/3 c. non-dairy cheese or regular cheese (optional; your choice)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a large skillet or pan add the cut up chicken and cook until it's all the way cooked through. Remove from pan and add into a bowl. Set aside


Spray the pan with cooking spray or 1Tbs. of olive oil, add in the onions and corn. Cook until the onions are translucent.


Next add back in the chicken to the pan and to that the chili powder, salt, crushed garlic, apple cider or red wine vinegar, green chili sauce, maple syrup and the diced green chilis. Stir well to combine and let simmer for a few minutes so the flavors can meld together.



Remove from heat and carefully pour into the greased casserole dish. Next in a large bowl add the dry ingredients for the crust. Corn meal, flour, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.


In a glass measuring cup add the unsweetened almond milk (or dairy of choice), apple sauce and maple syrup. Stir to combine and then add to the dry ingredients. Stir until it's combined. Then carefully fold in the corn.


Carefully spread the corn mixture over the top of the casserole dish. I used my hands and placed pieces of the mixture on top, it was easier for me.


If you are adding cheese, sprinkle it on top, pop into the 400 degree oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted and the crust is set.


I had to serve mine in a bowl since it came out a little soupy. Too much green chile sauce. Like I stated above, if using the green chile sauce start with 7 oz. of it and add more if needed. 

This still tasted great despite that!





No comments: