Monday, May 23, 2011

Chickpea Burgers

I came across a few various recipes for veggie burgers and chickpea burgers. And the one I went with was one from Angela's Oh She Glows blog. Her recipes never seem to fail me and I always love them!

Wasn't too sure how these were going to taste or turn out. Lately, it seems like I've had a bit of an obsession with chickpeas.

Is someone in need of an intervention??

These took no time to whip up and make. Maybe all of 15-20 minutes. I tend to get distracted and maybe slight OCD with cleaning up while I cook. Messiness drives me nuts.

I might need some help with that too.


Chickpea Burgers

(As adapted from Oh She Glows Spelt Veggie Burgers)



Ingredients:

1 cup of cooked chickpeas (I buy them in the can; make sure to drain and rinse them)
1 small carrot, peeled and cut up into pieces
1 small onion, chopped up into large pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut up into larger pieces
1/4 cup spinach
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp thyme
Small dash of cayenne
1/4 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1 Tbs. crushed garlic or 1 clove
1/3 cup cooked green lentils
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbs. chia seeds
3/4 brown rice flour (or any flour of your choice)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cover a baking sheet with either parchment paper or non-stick foil. In a food processor add all the ingredients except for the flour, green lentils, sunflower seeds and chia seeds. Process until the mixture is well blended together. Remove the mixture and add it into a large bowl.  Add to it the green lentils, sunflower seeds and chia seeds, mix well to combine. Next add the flour in 1/4 cup increments, stir well to blend together thoroughly. Shape into medium sized patties and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees, flip and then bake for another 10.

Makes 6-8 patties

I served these chickpea burgers along with some sesame kale. The burgers were delicious! I was pleasantly surprised. I ate three of them... fat kid status. But I couldn't help myself. They are so good.

I accidentally added the whole can of chickpeas instead of the 1 cup. I didn't read the ingredients list properly while I was making it.

My OCD of cleaning distracted me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I suggest just doing the 1 cup and not follow my mistake of dumping in the whole can of chickpeas (make sure they are drained and rinsed) into the food processor. It would explain the texture of them after they were baked in the oven, not a bad texture.

They were still super delicious though!



My mom ate 2 of them with one leftover. Can't wait to scarf that last one down tomorrow!

No comments: