Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Honey Dijon Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Chard

It's hump day!! Just a few more days till the weekend. No exciting plans as of now, but that's ok. A chill weekend would be nice!

I really want to go see "Water for Elephants" starring Robert Pattinson. So hot. Haha. Plus I read the book a while back and absolutely loved it! I read it in 3 days, I couldn't put it down. Maybe I'll go see that this weekend.

Today, before the gym, I made a Trader Joe's and Fresh and Easy run. Stocked back up on some of the necessities. Just to name a few: Almond butter, Bob's Red Mill GLUTEN FREE oats (SOOO happy when I found these at Fresh and Easy. I can still have my oats while on my detox cleanse!) agave nectar, baby spinach leaves, pistachio nuts, dried tomatoes, dried cranberries.

Earlier today I marinated some chicken in olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard, crushed garlic and some salt and pepper and let it sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. Cooked it up tonight with some sautéed chard with bell peppers (that I had left over) and baked sweet potatoes. When you see the picture of the sweet potatoes you might wonder why they aren't orange. Reason why is... most people are cooking with YAMS, not sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes aren't orange in color, yams are. Yams and sweet potatoes don't taste much different from each other. If you didn't know the difference before, you do now!

On the left is a typical yam that is sold in the U.S. and we see in stores,
on the right is a sweet potato that is also sold in stores.

Okay, continuing on!

Chard cut up and ready to go!

Chicken cooking in the pan.

Doesn't it look good! It smelled good as well.

Finished product! It was so delicious! See?? Sweet potatoes really aren't orange. But they taste just as good, if not better!

I brushed the sweet potatoes on both sides with just a little olive oil and seasoned with basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Baked in a 425 degree oven for about 30 mins. Unfortunately, I do not have the exact measurements for the marinade I made for the chicken. I eyeballed everything according the the amount of chicken I had. It wasn't large quantities due to the fact there was only 3 chicken tenders cut in half. I'll make it again and I'll be sure to measure and I'll post the recipe!

Hope you all had a great Wednesday!

Now time for some t.v., psychology reading, shower and bed.

No comments: